23 January 2015

A Bunch for the Weekend - # 36 - Blue Hyacinth



Blue Hyacinths


This week on 'A Bunch for the Weekend' - I'm featuring some blue Hyacinth.

The hyacinth season usually lasts well into the spring. It's an amazing flower that comes in a large variety of colours such as - pink, white, blue, purple, yellow as well as others.

A lot are grown in pots but you can now also buy them as cut flowers - often with part of the bulbs still attached - the flower lasts much longer that way.


Blue Hyacinths


You'll need:

- 10 stems of Hyacinths 
- 3 different size bowls or wide containers - in this case I have chosen some blue and white floral china bowls in three different patterns 


For conditioning the flowers - you'll also need:

- florists snippers or scissors
- a florist bucket

As always - you need to condition the flowers - remove all the lower leaves that would end up below the waterline in the vase. Cut the stems at an angle - to increase water absorption. Put in a clean container with fresh water and leave in a cool place over night or at least a few hours before making the final arrangement. 
You might have to re-cut the stems while making the final arrangement to suit the size of the vase.

Blue Hyacinths

It was not easy finding flowers in London this week. After the fire in the Euro Tunnel a lot of deliveries are delayed. 

I did find these blue Hyacinths - but I was in a rush and made the mistake of not examining them properly. So when I got them home and unwrapped them - I was not happy. A lot of the short stems were curved and you can't really straighten them.

I still wanted to use the flowers and came up with the idea of displaying them in a few bowls just floating in water. I picked out a three blue and white floral bowls in different sizes. 

In the largest bowl I displayed five of the flowers with straight stems - just leaning on the edge of the bowl with the bottom of the stems in water.


Blue Hyacinths

In the second I snipped off a lot of the open flowers to simply float as a mass of single flowers and in the third one I mixed single flowers with the tips of five flower stems that still had green unopened buds.

This is a very easy and quick way to display not very perfect flowers - rather than resorting to putting them on the compost heap.

I love how every single little flower is different to the next and the scent is gorgeous! Just a different way to enjoy and display flowers.

Blue Hyacinths


Have a Happy Floral Friday and an Enjoyable Weekend!

See you next Monday with another 'Tiny Blooms'.

~ xoxo ~

Ingrid

[Styling and Photography © Ingrid Henningsson for Of Spring and Summer]

8 comments:

HWIT BLOGG said...

Sååå vackert...blått är verkligen magiskt!
Underbara bilder!
Varm kram,
Titti

Connie said...

These are so lovely. I should think about planting some blubs next year. It will take a while to plan my new yard. I want to plant a garden that has new blooms from spring to fall. :)

Aida said...

Thank you for your helpful tips Ingrid. Hyacinths is one of my spring favourites. Their lovely scents brings joy and delight.
Enjoy your weekend

cedarmerefarm said...

I love their colors and scent. Your bowls are very pretty.

Janneke said...

Lovely blues.......much better than the winter blues.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

An awesome combination of the purple hyacinth blooms on the blue and white plates.
Your photos would be fun to play with in Waterlogue - an iPad app for turning photos into watercolours.

Georgianna said...

These colors pretty much leave me speechless, Ingrid! They are glorious!! What a great idea and one I will try as soon as my hyacinth are blooming. :)

Lenas Trädgårdsrum said...

Woooow så underbara bilder!!
Känner riktigt Hyacintdoften :)
Ha det Gott!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...