10 June 2014

Flowers from the Flower Market - # 4 - Delphiniums





Delphiniums are magnificent at this time of year and I just could not leave the market without bringing some home. It's a flower that come in many different pink and blue colours as well as white and peach. 


 The one little difficulty with Delphiniums are that they are quite tall - so you need a tall vase. Tall vases become top heavy so they are not always easy to deal with but apart from that it's a great flower that you don't have to do a lot to and lasts well. 



It's a flower that starts flowering from the bottom of the spike while the top still has tight buds. You will need to remove the lower spent flowers as the buds open up. 


Like always condition the flowers by removing any lower leaves that will end up below the waterline in the vase. Cut the stems at an angle and put straight in a clean container with water - and leave over night in a cool place. 


Delphiniums are a flower that remind me of an old-fashioned country garden and I thought these blue and white floral vases had the same feel about them. 

Just to be on the safe side I put all the old vintage vases on little saucers - also blue and white floral china. Don't ever trust an old china vase - as they might leak and ruin your tabletop. 


You don't need to do very much to delphiniums - they are perfect on their own and their loose country garden style is easy and charming.

Keep the tall spires all the same height to give a neat finish to your arrangement.  


I was able to make one lower arrangement with a light pink Delphinium - that I only had one stem of. I cut it quite short - put it in a low vase and used some stems with unopened buds in the back. Simple and easy!  



Have a Lovely Floral Day!

See you later in the week!

xoxo Ingrid

[Styling and photography © Ingrid Henningsson for Of Spring and Summer.]


7 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

The vases you have chosen for these beautiful flowers are simply perfection, Ingrid. So beautiful. xo.

Janneke said...

Wonderful Ingrid these are my favourite flowers. The vases are beautiful too, lovely combination. I usually have lots of Delphiniums in my garden, this year there are but less. The slugs are fond of them and when we were on holidays they took the chance....

Lenas Trädgårdsrum said...

Wooooow så fantastiskt vackra bilder!!
Ha det Gott!

Lenas Trädgårdsrum said...

Wooooow så fantastiskt vackra bilder!!
Ha det Gott!

Frances said...

Ingrid, I cannot choose a favorite photograph from amongst these delphinium views. Each is absolutely delicious. The vases are so, so beautiful, and surely do suit the delphiniums perfectly.

Thank you for the conditioning tips and also that advice about the little dishes under the vintage vases.

Thank you also for your visit over to my place and encouragement about my fuchsia plant. So far it does seem to be enjoying its stay on my window sill.

xo

The Gilded Bloom said...

So pretty! The delphiniums are beautiful in the blue and white vases. I like the color combination and styling...

cedarmerefarm said...

The vases are gorgeous. I would not have thought that such attention-grabbing vases would work so well with attention-grabbing flowers, such as Delphinium! All of your arrangements are bold (yet feminine) and beautiful. I love them all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...