Houseplant of the Month the month of June is the Peace Lily.
Every month the Flower Council of Holland in collaboration with people from the horticultural sector chooses a plant that does well as a houseplant and is well liked by the public.
Here are some facts about the Peace Lily:
- The Peace Lily comes from the rainforests in South America.
- It loves a damp, moist atmosphere .
- The Peace Lily comes in different sizes - from mini to extra-large.
- The Peace Lily doesn't like a dry atmosphere - brown points on the leaves means the air is too dry.
- The Peace Lily grows happily in a bathroom.
- Keep the Peace Lily outside in a sheltered out of the sun position during the summer.
- Keep the plant in a light position but not in direct sunlight.
- It likes regular lukewarm water with added plant food during the growing season.
- Don't let the root ball dry out.
- Regularly spray the leaves with lukewarm water.
- Remove any dead flowers.
- Leave the plant to rest during the winter in a cool but light position and it will flower year after year.
Here is a fun little video showing how to make a living wall using Peace Lilies.